Wow! Never would have expected it but I had such a great time at my birthday dinner/drinks last night. Sanae told me that someone else's birthday was around the same time but I didn't realize it was the SAME day! And she turned 23 too! And she's from the US! But the similarities end there. She is from Iowa, here on a study abroad type program. Just got engaged Saturday to her long time (white) boyfriend. She speaks Japanese damn near fluently and I think one of her parents is Japanese. Looking at her you'd never know, but she is. She just looks like a chinky eyed black person to me--what do they call that Blackanese? Anyway, I digress...so it was big fun. Sanae's boyfriend KC came there. They bought Aki and I tequila shots and started humming the song "Ba, bada bada ba ba, ba bada bada ba.... TEQUILA" It was funny. I had a great huge hamburger and fries and this delicious drink called Churopikaru Dorimu (Tropical Dream). The owner/bartender is a foreigner and boy could he make drinks!!! I had THREE!!! While I was there I talked with Kimiko and Mike, two of the folks that went to Ojiro-waterfall with us. They both do Capeora (i can't spell sorry) on Monday and Thursday at the Kose Sports park. I think next Thursday I'm going to go and check them out. He said its very martial artsy, but kinda rhythmic and fun. The teacher is Hawaiian so some instructions are in basic Japanese and in English! Anything in English, you can sign my name on the dotted line!!! Anyway, this sports park also has a full gym that you don't need a membership to come to just pay 300 yen each time you want to come, which is quite a good deal!! I figure that after what happened at school yesterday I need some type of physical exercise in my life...(pause from Bday party story to tell about the ass-whoopin' I recieved)
So, my JH school sports festival is on Saturday and the students practice everyday. Well yesterday they needed me to stay after and help them out with a little practicing. So I do and I'm with the C team. Well they practiced all their events and then when it was time for the last event which is the relay race, the PE teacher comes up to me, note: she doesn't speak but a few words in English...."please Eboni to run together" and points to her and then to me. So I say "Sure!" I'm thinking the teachers have a team and she wants me to run on the team with the teachers. So then the students tell me to come on the other side of the field with them. So I do, and then I ask, "Is Ichinose sensei (the PE teacher) running?" They all shake their heads no. Then I ask "well is Harada sensei (my English teacher) running." Same response. So I say, "Are any other teachers running?" They all say no. So I'm like, Damn! They got me running against the students. I later find out that one of the students is absent and that I'm only subbing for her today so that is a breath of fresh air but I still have this lap in front of me. So of course by the time its my turn to run my team is in last place and I have to try to catch up. I like to killed myself! I thought my lung was going to collapse I was breathing so hard! I'm glad that was the last event because after that I went into the Ladies room and had to sit my 23 year old behind on the floor! I couldn't help but laugh as a drug myself to the car. I was glad the students were on the bus on their way home by the time I came out of the bathroom. I was thinking..."I don't want (them) to see me like dis no more" (what movie is that from?)
Back to my birthday. So dinner was great. Sanae and her friend Junko want to take me shopping in Tokyo at the end of the month so that should be great. She is learning how much I love shoes and love to shop. She had on the cutest pink and white pumas too! My kinda girl!!! So I have another really cool Japanese friend. But i think Sanae and I will hang out more than Mizuki and I have.
Birthday Cards: From Grandma. From Rhonda. From Katie. From Kiron. From Meredith. From Sheila. From MOM.
So far away and still I feel so loved. That's what I wanted my birthday to be about. Those who didn't send e-cards or letters called or emailed. Or Instant Messaged me like my neos, Reggie and Sakhu.
Who ever said you as old as you feel...LIED!!!! Those kids whooped my ass!
5 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment