Friday, September 20, 2002

Why am I stupid? And why is the Math teacher two desks away from me in the teacher's room SLEEP. I'm stupid because I just took a picture of him and made all the teachers included the VP look over here at him. The thing is we all did the quiet laugh and as I type, he is still sitting with his face in his hands elbows on the desk looking like he is reading something on the computer screen in front of him, but we ALL know that this man is sleep. I can't contain myself so I need to leave the teachers room if he begins to snore!

This morning the 9th grade homeroom teacher asked me if I wanted to go out in the woods and look for mushrooms with the class. So of course me and my happy go lucky try anything once behind said yes and now have scar wounds to prove my adventure was a success. There are woods that totally surround my school and they even had a professional mushroom picker (don't laugh, he gets much respect around this place) to come out here and hunt mushroom with the students. My group wanted to go off in the woods and walk around on some slippery rocks. Most of what we were walking on was covered by moss and while I'm looking after the students saying "Kyosukette" (be careful) I slip on one. Now, trying to avoid completely busting my behind I stick out my hand to break the fall and my hand lands on a sharp porous lava rock. My school is located close enough to Fuji that debris and rock from old lava flows are all around the wooded areas there and this rock cut the shit out of my hand! I have a huge gash just below my thumb joint, another deep wound about an 8 cm below it and the opposite side of my hand blow my pinky is scarred as well. At first I was like "Daijobu" (I'm alright) but the more I tried to keep going the more it began to bleed and the students insisted that I go back and see the school nurse. I felt so bad because they had to trek back out of the woods to take me and then go back out to finish their science experiment.

One of the students got bitten by a snake yesterday and the nurse bandaged his hand up just like my is now bandaged. I told all the teachers to tell people I got bitten by a snake too. I didn't want them to know I fell. So when the students came in and saw my hand and asked what happened I said I got bitten by a snake. Now, the students who were with me were like "Really? You did?". They were feeling bad because they thought I feel and got bitten. So then I said "American Joke, American Joke" like they say to me whenever they make jokes. I guess you had to be there for this one.

Tomorrow I have to go to a school festival at Shoji Elementary school. Now I have this bandage on and the last thing I want is every person coming up to me asking me what happened and of course I can't explain it in Japanese. Maybe it will be cold and I can keep my hand in my hoody pocket. Speaking of hoody--I'll be so glad when my mom can send the rest of my clothes because all I have in the way of long sleeve clothing is one t-shirt, a hoody, and this ARMY zip-up. I mean, I have dress clothes, but those are my school clothes not everyday hang around long sleeve stuff. It gets pretty cold i my apt too so when Tray sends me that chenille blanket I've been dying to have for the last 2.5 years I'll be even happier.

0 comments: