My mom is so funny. She sent me 4 email b-day cards yesterday..all of which are very very sweet. First, Second, Third, Fourth. She usually doesn't forget my birthday. This year I think she is starting out early. I was telling a friend of mine tonight that since my 17th bday I can't remember one that wasn't really fun or spent with folks I really care about or had tons of fun with. I'm not talking about it in a bad way, just an introspective way. Today she sent me this one. Its really thoughtful of her and very sweet so I'm glad she remembers.
One thing I'm realizing more and more is the simplicity of little things. I've realized the value of them for quite some time now but as time goes on I value them more. Like a strong thick absorbant towel or the sun setting around 7:30 or 8pm in the summer time or seeing things written in AM/PM time instead of 24 hour or military time. Little things like washing dishes in a sink that is a least waist high so your back doesn't hurt when you are done washing, things like living room chairs with legs, not just seats and backs, things like having your toilet sink and shower all in the same room, things like turning on the tv and understanding what folks are saying even if its nothing you want to watch, things like driving on the left hand side of the road, and directional/highway signs that are green not blue. Small things like stop signs that are shaped like octagons not triangles, things like shopping for shoes and actually being able to buy some in a store, things like looking around and seeing people who look like you even if there is only one or two others in a sea of thousands. . .the smiles you exchange are worth a million bucks. Now these are not complaints, just little things, observations if you will. Adaptions that I'm making mentally and adding more and more to the list daily, which is okay because for one thing I add there is usually something else I know I can do without. Things I thought I could not live w/o that have virtually no use to me here, like a million pairs of jeans when I go to work and home every day and on the weekends, I wear that one comfortable pair that I usually wore on weekends at home...
Value the little things.
5 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment