Wednesday, August 14, 2002

I forgot to post this the other day so here goes:

August 10, 2002

What an adventure I had today. I didn't leave home until around 2pm. I intended to go to the shopping center in Kofu to go to the Hyaku-en shop (its like the $1 store in US). Well I call myself following the map that my predecesor left for me and ended up on a side street that was barely big enough for my car and it was a TWO WAY STREET. I couldn't believe it. I'd heard of these streets before, but never been on one. With the smaller Japanese cars, its not quite as bad as it was for me, but the car I'm driving is about the size of a 92' Honda Accord. Its actually a Toyota Corona (yes you lushes, like the drink). Then after finding my way off that tiny street I traced my steps (so to speak) and went back the way I came. The next time I find myself on a highway, little do I know I'm going the right way this time and drive right past the shopping center! URGGH! But eventually I arrived at Gran Park and did my shopping. They have this store here called Uni Qlou that is very much like the GAP only...its not. They had a GREAT sale, but I resisted and just bought what I'd come there for: Groceries and stuff from the Hyaku-en shop. I bought lots a cute stationary today, some more postcards, a few clocks for the apt,
and a broom that doesn't make me hurt my back while cleaning the apt. I really like the Hyaku-en shop. Its much better than the store we have at home... cheap stuff that doesn't really look as cheap.

When I got home tonight after putting away my things, I decided to COOK. Yes that's right. I, Eboni Staton, have become a cook. Well let me tell the story first then you decide. I have a rice cooker so I put a cup of water in there and a cup of rice...that cooked itself and whistled when it was ready. Then for the main entree': Chicken! I had cubed pieces of chicken that I seasoned with garlic, pepper, salt, and a little bit of kikkoman soy sauce. After taking twenty minutes to light the stove, and calling a friend and asking a neighbor (I really couldn't figure the thing out!) I cooked my chicken and added it to the rice. Tah-Dah! My first home cooked meal. Of course I had more meat and rice than I needed so I'll save the chicken until tomorrow and throw out the extra rice.

Its pretty lonely here. I guess I've been saying that for the past few days. And all people can say is "You are having an experience of a lifetime". And its not like I dont know that or that I'm complaining, I'm just telling of how I feel. School hasn't started yet and there is no one
around really. When you are a person like me who is used to being around people all the time, or having someone to call and speak with regularly its hard when that isn't the case anymore. I love that I'm here. The countryside is beautiful, the air is clean, and the people are friendly. But I'm very far away from home and those same emotions I was feeling anticipating this move are okay to feel now that I'm here. Especially being that now I'm totally alone. I just have to get adjusted...I will be just fine.

"I'm lonely, I'm Mister Lonely...I have no-body to call my own"

0 comments: