August 8, 2002
Well its the morning of my last day in Tokyo. My roomates and I have been up since about 4am. We couldn't sleep and I was worried that I'd sleep too late to pack so I guess I kinda woke everyone else up. (Sumimasen!)
Yesterday was a good day. I woke up about 5, I'm not really having trouble sleeping or anything its just that when I am ready to wake up I just do so I guess. I hope this keeps up even when I finally arrive at my apt because that would make the transition to going to school first thing in the morning much easier. Another thing is the Japanese expect so much of you as far as promptness is concerned so I'm really going to have to make sure I don't disappoint them in that.
So, I found out that I'm going to have to get a Japanese license. Like take the test, driving and written. The thing is that the laws about driving in Japan with an international driving permit have changed. Beginning June 1, 2002 you can only use your driving permit from the dates that you wanted it to be valid. Well I didn't know when to validate it so I just said immediately and that was back in June. So next June my permit expires and for the month of July I won't be allowed to drive (which is rediculous and impossible) and that is not an option because I need to drive for my job. So in order to safeguard my self and my BOE I have to take the driving test in Japan and obtain a Japanese driving license, which I heard is an insanely difficult test. So I'm not looking forward to that!!!
Yesterday we also went to Harajuku which is like a shopping district and they have Gap, J Crew, Body Shop, and my FAVORITE--the PUMA store! I was excited, but the stuff in there was of course toooo expensive. I still have to live off the 80,000 yen I have for the next two weeks so I have to chill and not buy things that I don't need. I did however buy some film for my camera which was cheap. Its hard to find a good deal on APS film so I bought like 10 roles for about 2,500 yen. I also bought a shirt at the Gap (I had too! and kept the reciept).
We had such and adventure on the subway. We went to Shinjuku station armed with nothing but a Japanese Phrase Book on a mission to Harajuku. We were just looking for anyone who LOOKED like they spoke English. These Black British men ended up stopping us (while look looking at my girl Erica's butt) and directing us the way to the Green line. Once we got over there we couldn't figure out how to purchase the tickets. So, Shirly (another US JET) goes to a younger looking Japanese woman and begins trying to ask her for help...She helps us out,
takes our money and buys the tickets for us. Then she walks us up to the platform and sits with us on the train. So I'm being a smart ass and reading things out of my phrase book like "When is the next train to Harajuku", "When is the first train to Harajuku", "Does this train
stop at Harajuku" and a few Japanese guys in front of us start laughing and one guy says in English "You sound so natural!" Then Erica Shirly and I burst out laughing and we are like "So, you speak English!" He's like yeah, I understand every word you are saying! It was so funny!!
Then while we are walking down the street once we get to Harajuku we see this group of Japanese teen agers who are sooo tanned wearing chloe'(like) glasses and sun visors (at night) and these glittery t-shirts that say, Area Codes and I love New York, and LA and one girl looks and me and goes "Kawaii" which means cute and they start giggling, I say "Thanks" and they keep walking. Its so amazing to me how much the mimic Hip-Hop culture over here but its flattering in a way. I know that its not going to be like this in Kamikuishiki but I know that Tokyo is only a train
ride away.
Is this really my life? Wow! I'm so blessed!!!!
5 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment