Friday, August 16, 2002

Another day in Kamiku.
There have been new developments with the Mt. Fuji experience. Originally we were supposed to walk the mountain during the first part of the day 8-4pm but a friend of mine told me that its too hot to do all that during the day, so I should go with the group that has planned to go at night. At this point, I plan to spend the night on the mountain. We are supposed to meet at the fifth station and hike to the top from there. Spend the night at the top and watch the SUNRISE!! Gosh doesn't it sound like something out of the movies. I have to take 2L of water, some snacks, fruit, warm clothing (layers, hat and scarf--which I have none of) and of course my camera. I plan to bring my Zane book "Heat Seekers" which by the way is excellent and some stationary to write a few letters atop the mountain. I'm excited about it and I'm sure I will have a million things to say on Sunday after I rest from not getting any sleep.

I wasn't able to by my digital camera today because I didn't get paid. I went to Watanabe-san to ask him about my pay and he said I won't be paid until the 16th of next month. We couldn't have a very in depth conversation because of course he doesn't understand English. So I had to wait until I saw Mizuki to tell her about it and see if she could explain/ask him what was up with that. I came home and found a letter that my predecesor had written making sure I didn't have the wrong date in mind and this is what it says verbatim "You will receive your first salary on August 16, and from then on you will be paid on the 16th of every month. You receive your salary as an envelope of cash that is handed directly to you at the village office." I have a copy of this to take to the Yakuba when I go in on Monday...I actually was wondering if anyone is there tomorrow because I will go to the accountants office and see if the money is there myself. I'm good for now, but I know I can't last another month with bills etc. on the money that I do have. No worries though, cause Watanabe-san will straighten it out I'm sure.

So today my big deal was going to be to get a keitai right...well I'm so glad that I went with Mizuki. The phone I wanted that has global passport (I can use it in the US) and is cute and has email etc...well it was 9800yen in the AU store I found in Kofu...Mizuki took me to another store some where near Totomi-choa nd got the same phone with a fairly reasonable plan for 5800yen!!! Woo-hooo! I'm excited! She helped me fill out all the paperwork and wrote my address in Kanji for me so I was extremely greatful. The didn't have the phone in stock but I will go back and get it tomorrow afternoon. She even took me out to eat after we left the keitai-shop.

I met Mizuki at the Ashigawa (train) station which is actually in the Mitama-cho. You can get to Mitama-cho on Rte 38 which you get as you are leaving Kamiku and go off to the right so you are driving actually right next to the Ashigawa river (which is in front of my house). Well anyway, needless to say the side roads of Japan are extremely narrow, but when I say narrow, I mean like a Ford Explorer would be from white line to white line on this road and they are TWO-way streets. The scariest part is that people drive fast on these little roads but I woman like me will give them the right of way everytime! I just pull my little car to the side and let them have it. Its so funny because there are parts where you have your own side then they dip down to a one lane (two lane) street that goes right through what looks like someones front yard, literally. Now I've driven in the country, on dirt roads, on rocky roads, but there is nothing quite like this I promise. I had to leave her at 6pm because I wanted to get home before the sunset. The river is quite beautiful from the road and I bet its even better from down on the rocks. I'm going to see if some of my Junior High students will take me fishing. I know my dad would flip..I know me fishing right, but hey you only live once and you know my motto :

"When in Rome...do as the Romans do"

0 comments: