Thursday, February 27, 2003

War...what is it good for...
This week, I'm on a war movie marathon. At Tsutaya its 180yen rental day for ladies on Monday so I get to get cheap movies. I rented, Pearl Harbor, Band of Brothers, Black Hawk Down, and Behind Enemy Lines. I watched Pearl Harbor last night and Black Hawk Down the night before. I wanted to understand more about the war phenomenon and these movies both have a true story behind them and although of course movie is not as good as books or primary sources it has still lead me to write everyone I knew who has served in the armed forces and tell them how much I love an appreciate them for what they do.

Everyone is really quick to criticize war and members of the armed forces, but I guess I never really sat down to seriously think about the things they do and what their jobs actually are until I started to date G. Two of my uncles were in the armed forces. One in the army the other in the airforce but even then I didn't do a lot of thinking about it. G, his job and his co-workers were visable to me on a regular basis and it made me come to grips with a lot of stereo types that I had about these men because of TV or whatever. They were men and some still boys who had volunteered to defend their country. Although some may never see wartime or combat (which I hope my loved ones don't) they train every day for the worst while hoping for the best. The man in Pearl Harbor said, "Nothing is more passionate than the heart of a volunteer." To the men and women in my life and everywhere who have volunteered (and those who wish they hadn't sometimes) you are truly some of the best people I know. Thank you for watchin' my back.
Holla BACK!!! I got ya back!

0 comments: