Peppermint Ball
I has such a good time last night! A fellow JET participant friend of mine told me about the Tokyo Alumi Chapter and that they were having a formal event this weekend. A friend of mine had told me that the chapter was inactive so I never really bothered to get in touch with them. Well when the friend told me about it I decided to find out a little more for myself. I emailed the chapter president and she told me a few things and they were excited about meeting me and were so happy that I was here. When I got there I was so happy! It was so good to be around the sorors and feel at home again. Most of the sorors in the chapter are much older than me and are all in some way affiliated with the military someway. Most are teachers, some are actually in the military and the remainder are military wives.
There was a banquet and some door prizes were giving away (which were all really nice ceramic dishes/vases for the home. I was for once hoping that I didn't win because I sure wouldn't want to lug that thing all around the train stations going home. They called all sorors to the floor and we sang "The Sweetheart Song" and as always it made me have goosebumps. The sorors could really sing too. The song sounded really good. I met two of the youngest sorors named Shai and Risha. They are both at the Air Force base and told me to come back down soon and spend the weekend. I told them I wanted to get my hair braided before I go to New Zealand so they said they'd find someone who could do that for me. The crowd was old and the music that was played all night was too, but that didn't stop me from having a wonderful time at all. I've got an adopted Mom now, this soror named Ms. Jackie. She took care of us for real and is going to send me a care package later on with some US goodies and Girl Scout Cookies. I wanted some thin mints but the girls we saw were all out!! The can never go wrong with Thin Mints. And as much chocolate as I've been eating lately I'd sit down and be done with the box in a night. I'm excited about getting the cookies though.
Erica went with me and the interested girl. It was strange because some of the sorors were acting like Erica was interested too and not being quite as friendly to her as they were with me. She of course was like "F- em" (inside joke). Its funny, I was trying to explain to her why they were being that way but its hard to explain. I mean I totally understood it with the chapter being on the edge of membership intake and having women swarming around you who want to make new friends just for the sake of initiation possibilites, but that doesn't make it easy to explain to someone who hasn o interest in doing anything with Tokyo Alumni other than chillin' and supporting the worthwhile community activities they take part in.
Today's weather was by far the most beautiful day of 2003 thus far. It was about 62 as a high and the sun was just gorgeous! I sat and missed two trains at the station in Machida on my way home from Camp Zama (where the ball was) just so I could sit outside reading and enjoying the sunshine on my face. Oh, I feel the bug of spring fever beginning to tickle my nose. My decision to stay in Japan will be final as of tomorrow morning and I hope the completion of this year proves as rewarding as the first part. Some will be happy that I'm staying others will not be so happy. But this is about me. I said that when I first left home. No kids, no boyfriend, no ring and no reason at this moment to return back home. God and I worked this one out. He provided a new sources of family and support in showing me the way to my sorors and I've just been recieving confirmations all week that this is the right thing for me to do. So I will turn in my contract tomorrow with no looking back and set forth in my obligations to the Kamiku BOE for another year.
Wish me luck..and keep up the prayers.
5 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment