Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Well, I did it. I went to Tokyo this past weekend and got a perm! When I was in Yokohama last weekend, I met this girl named Tracey who lives on base down there. She recommended someone to me (Black chick) but she was book for the next 2 weekends, and you know me...when I decide that its time to do something, I need to do it right then or shortly thereafter. So, I called Tracey back and she gave me the info of this place in Tokyo that I should go. The owner is a guy named Mayo who is from NY but got family in Tarboro and Rocky Mt. (small freakin' world) He actually told me that he has a cousin named William Mayo that plays ball for UNC but I don't know that cat.

So I set up an appt for Saturday. I braided my hair up in cornrows after I made the appt so I didn't have to go around looking like a wild child for the rest of the week. It was cute too if I say so myself...anyway, I digress, as usual. So, when I get to this place its pretty nice, all the stylists except one are Japanese but have been to Atlanta and New York for training on how to do black hair and have a fair amount of black customers. The black girl who was in the shop was from St. Louis or something and kept acting like she wasn't happy to see me in there. I was kinda upset with her b/c you know me, its so rare I see black folks so I'm trying to be friendly and she is givin' me the cold shoulder so I was finally like "forget that hoe" and stopped talking to her...So I took out my braids and had them take a pic of my hair before they started the perm. The girl doing my hair was this Japanese girl named China (Chee-nah) and this guy helped her comb my hair (yes it took two of them to do it) and perm. My scalp is sooo sensitive so I'm glad they decided to do the tag team to get it in and out faster. After they did the perm they did this real nice washing job and then gave me a conditioner. She wrapped my head in plastic wrap and put me under this rotating heat lamp. It felt really really good. Then she washed my face with this hot towel and gave me a massage! It was THE BEST!!! Then she washed everything out and cut and blow dried my hair. I don't know if you've seen the new Mandi Moore hair cut, but its kinda like that. Its a few different lengths and I can wear it flipped or bob/wrapped. I have it flipped now. I am taking school pictures Tomorrow so I'll have some pictures of it to send soon. I can't wait to get my film developed so I can have some before and after photos!

So that's that. I couldn't deal with the natural any longer. The winter was getting much to cold to be washing as much as I was and it was a big hassle to try to braid or twist twice a week. That just takes up so much time. I'm very happy with my hair, I just hope I can keep it healthy and make it grow. I'm going to keep regular appts w/China. Probably once a month (that's regular for me!) to keep it cut and get that great wash and massage. It cost me $100 to get a perm wash and cut so I'm certainly looking for someone else that won't charge so much, but I'd rather have someone that knows what they are doing and pay $100 than pay $50 and come back to the states balding and pissed off!!!

0 comments: