So its 2:50 in the morning on Thursday (but in my mind its still Wednesday because I have not gone to bed yet) and I'm just getting in from the Earth Wind and Fire concert in Tokyo. Boy did I have a good time. I can't wait to tell my Uncle Derek. He's going to be sooo jealous. I know he has just about every album they every released (i'm talking vinyl here) but I wonder if he's seen them perform live before. At any rate, it was a heck of a trip to Tokyo (during which I finished Harry Potter book 3). The skies were so clear and it nice outside. Once I arrived at Tokyo station I took a cab up the block (not even a full block) to the concert hall with the cabby fussing the whole way about how a probably lost him a decent fair driving not even a kilometer up the block. I told him in the worst Japanese I could muster that I was paying him, I didn't know where the hall was ( I really didn't) and that he would be alright. He was asking why I didn't ask someone on the street for directions. I told him that "over there" wasn't the best of directions, cause that's all I got on the street. He was pissed when I got out but like I said, he'd be alright.
Okay so once I arrive at the concert Hall, there of course is a long line of people waiting to get upstairs. But its 6:45 at this point and the show is supposed to start at 7...to make a long irriating story short, I cut line (I refused to stand in that long ass line and I was by myself), walked past the security and took my seat. The show didn't start until 8. Although, I sat pissed about the show running late (which meant I'd have to take a later train) boy did all those feelings of resentment flood away when they took the stage. I now know that I am the granny that Erica always calls me! Verdine White the bass player was so energetic I felt like he was on a lil' something, Phillip Bailey's voice was out of this WORLD, he is the voice of EWF now. Maurice White, well he was okay but definitely looking old. He wore these really cute white and green ADIDAS with some white silk pants and changed his top all of which were extremely form fitting. Do I dare say it...well, I think the reason he doesn't tour with them as much anymore is because he is just getting to old to keep it up. EWF has been around a longgggg time. And he founded the group so I don't blame him, but its definitely starting to show. Oh then there's lil' Ralph Johnson who I almost wouldn't have known was there except for the fact he kept dancing with the dancing girls on stage. It was fun! OH, I didn't mention that about 30mins in I was taking pictures, with a camera I wasn't supposed to even have and got caught by a security guard. I got a good 3 in before they caught me though. So I hope those turn out pretty good. On they way out I saw something I had to capture on film. There was a group of 3 Japanese guys dressed in 70's clothes. One had an enormous afro wig on and a disco ball necklace. They looked shocked but I asked if I could take their picture. Immediately one guy ushered me in the middle and 2 of them were around me and the third took the photo. Can't wait to see that one either.
Well, a great end to a wonderful night. I took the 11:50 train home from Tokyo arriving in Kofu at 2:00am. Drove 30mins up the mountain to my place and am now home at last. My room as finally warmed up with the help of both the kerosene and electric heaters..so I shall now brave the cold kitchen, cross over to the bathroom area, take out my contacts, brush my teeth and dream about "Space Fantasy" "Boogie Wonderland" and how Verdine White should really start thinking of new wardrobe tips! His fashion sense never really.....it never really....came all the way OVER (lol @ Bernie Mack). G'nite kind people.
5 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment