It has been more than 2 months since my last blog post and as you can imagine I have a lot to catch you up on. Looking back, my last blog was a rant about #sweatyprofessor but I never described how the rest of the semester finished so let's start there.
My academic semester wrapped up pretty well. I did very well in 3 of my classes (Organizational Behavior, Leadership, Business Game) well in 1 (Data Analysis – This is #sweatyprofessor’s class), and not so well in 1 (Microeconomics). I’m actually glad that I didn’t take too many classes the first term like other classmates of mine because this style of teaching/learning was a major adjustment in itself. I plan to take a heavier load this semester (which if you are keeping count is semester 2/6 ) now that I am more familiar with what to expect.
Two days after classes and exams were over, I bid farewell to my classmates and Tsukuba and headed home to the States for what I knew would be a very important summer. At the end of first term I was pretty dissatisfied with my MBA program and not really feeling Japan all that much either. I decided that this summer I was going to seriously contemplate what was best for me in the long run: Stay in Japan and continue the program or cut my losses and return to the US to find work.
In addition to making decisions about my future, I was terribly homesick for family, friends and the comforts of life in the US! I was ready to relax and appreciate what I had been missing out on for the previous 8 months.
Prior to leaving Japan for the summer, I secured an internship doing market research for a friend’s firm but wasn’t exactly sure how I would fill the rest of my summer or help add funds to my bank account but I was determined that even with little funds, it would all work out.
July 2nd I returned home! Over the two months that was my summer vacation, I was able to see many of my close friends and actually make a few new ones. The summer was everything I hoped for. I DROVE A CAR! Slept in a KING SIZED BED. Ate good, drank good. Had a fabulous Pre-30th Birthday party! Laughed, danced, sun-bathed and had awesome conversation. My two months in Atlanta was refreshing and spirit renewing. People at home take so many things for granted, but I don’t say that to be accusatory. I mention it because I understand how easy it is to do and the thought of returning to Japan to my dorm room and my bike helps me to appreciate the luxuries of home.
So now, I'm back in Japan and classes start tomorrow. I guess you can tell what I decided to do. My numerous conversations with loved ones and quite honestly perfect strangers reassured me that I am doing the best thing for my future by sticking it out and getting my MBA at Tsukuba University. Now I am back, severely jet-lagged and constantly hungry! Part of the reason for the hunger is that I came back during a typhoon and grocery shopping on a bike in pouring rain and gusty wind is not only less than ideal, its very difficult to do. Tomorrow should be great weather, as the day after typhoons usually are, so I will do some grocery shopping then.
Raise your glass with me to Semester #2 and hoping that none of my teachers have problems controlling their bodily functions. Kampai! (Cheers)
5 years ago

2 comments:
I can understand your feelings completely about being back home...good luck this semester and tell them noisy hoes to "shut em"!!
Thanks Kelsey! :-) I know that the time is going to fly..at least I hope it does :)
Post a Comment