Thursday, June 18, 2009

Good Riddance #Sweatyprofessor

I'm sorry. I just cannot resist writing this blog while I'm supposed to be pretending to be listening to this man bore me to pieces. Every week for 10 weeks now I sit for 3 hours listening to #sweatyp lecture and turn students who are normally pretty attentive into sleeping zombies. I mean folks sleep in the front row, read books and magazines, do other homework right in his face, read blogs & twitter (that would be me) and just down right daydream. As I said before, it sucks even more because this is a basic class and those of us without a strong math background are going to be in trouble down the line because of it.

How in the world do you teach statistics or basic data analysis by only lecturing?! We were never given a syllabus. We were assigned to buy a $70 text book that he has not assigned one page of reading from. We don't know what are grades from the midterm we took on week 5 and have no idea what the answers to 2 out of 3 of the homework assignments he gave. Where the world did this man learn to teach?! Argh! Maybe its me, but if 50% of my class wasn't paying attention in class or sleep that would prompt me to do a little self-reflection.

I have 4 minutes left to endure (which he will probably prolong bc he still has 10 slides left) and I promise to have a celebratory toast to the fact that I will never have to sit through this particular form of torture again.

0 comments: