Friday, June 05, 2009

Sumooooooo! お相撲!


I absolutely and truly LOVE Sumo. I went to my very first Sumo tournament May 2003 when I was living in Yamanashi working as an English teacher. A friend and I decided that we wanted to go check it out so we took train up to Tokyo and decided to make a day out of it (and for the record, I've been attending tournaments the same way since).

The first matches begin at 8:30am. These are the times that the really small amateur kids get their time in the dohyo (ring). We decided we didn't need to be there quite that early so we arrived around 10:30 - 11. For that first two hours, Hazel and I sat and studied the English guide they provided for us at the door and I've been hooked ever since.

During the first 3 years I lived in Japan I developed some favorites. Of the non-Japanese wrestlers my top 4 are Asashoryu (Yokozuna, Grand Champion) , Ama (who at the time was just a regular Maegashira wrestler, has now moved up to Ozeki and changed his named to Harumafuji), Hakuho (he was also a regular Maegashira wrestler when I left and is now a Yokozuna!), and Kokkai (Maegashira from the country of Georgia, kind of an underdog as a non-Japanese/non-Asian but I like his style)

Of the Japanese wrestlers my favorites are Kaio (Ozeki, 1 rank below Yokozuna), Chiotaikai (also an Ozeki), Takamisakari, Iwakiyama and Aminishiki (who are all three regular Maegashira)

There are 6 tournaments across Japan each year and the May and September basho are held in Tokyo. I try my best to go each time its here and I plan to get some REALLY good seats for this September basho as my 30th birthday happens during the tournament!

For anyone who is really interested in learning more about the sport watch this quick video from the May basho I attended where Asashoryu fought Aminishiki and then check out this site.


0 comments: