Thursday, September 03, 2009

Where there's smoke...

I have been having a HELL of a time adjusting to the new time zone. A 13 hour time difference is no JOKE and I've only been able to sleep for 3-4 hours at a time since Sunday when I arrived. Part of the problem is I have been taking mid day naps when I can't take the fatigue anymore. I know! I know! It's making it worse but I really wanted to lay down.

So I decided to stop the afternoon naps and get this jet lag thing under control. After I woke from my Tuesday nap at 1am Wednesday :) I didn't go back to sleep until Wednesday evening at 8pm. It was a LOOONG day, but I managed to sleep 8 full hours and I probably would have slept longer but the fire alarm in our dorm went off at 4am! The sound wasn't like fire alarms at home. It sounded like a pretty loud alarm clock but nothing that would make me leave the building thinking I was in danger. The sound didn't last long but I was still curious about what was going on so I went out in the hall and looked down the stairwell (which is in front of my room) and it was full of smoke! Then I looked down the hall and saw this:


Apparently, my next door neighbor sleeps with her door propped open?! Now, Japan is pretty safe and certainly I have heard of people who sleep with their doors unlocked but PROPPED OPEN? What you can't see because of that bag is a wooden block that's in the door jam keeping it open. We live in an co-ed dorm. The floors are same sex but there are men on the 1st and 4th floors and the locking system for the building is broken so ANYONE can walk. I just don't ever see myself being comfortable enough to sleep with my door open like that. No way.

It turns out that someone was trying to cook something (at 3:30am?!...one reason my door stays closed and locked) and it burned up pretty bad. I personally think someone came in drunk, turned on a pot to cook something and forgot about it and went to bed. The smoke eventually cleared and everyone went back to sleep. Except me. I'm up now...might as well start my day!

Two more classes today Simulation and Optimization and Project Management. Not sure what to expect from either but I will soon find out!

0 comments: