Thursday, June 04, 2009

Just in Case You Were Wondering (Part 2)

Basic Data Analysis: This class is my LEAST favorite. I even have a nickname for this instructor of this class. I call him #sweatyprofessor. (btw: the hash mark is just a tag I use for when i talk about him on twitter) According to the syllabus this class is supposed to be taught in English but on the first day of class he asked the class which language they preferred he teach in and they said Japanese (duh! didn't he see that coming?) so the class is now taught in Japanese and English. Only, instead of translating what he says in Japanese into English, he continues his thoughts in English! So instead of just the English speaking students being lost, we are all looking at each other crazy. 10 weeks of classes, we took a midterm about week 6 which we still haven't gotten back and the last day of instruction is this coming Thursday. We've done 3 homework assignments and only received answers for the first one. He doesn't show up for office assignment appointments that HE schedules. He doesn't respond to emails. And on top of all the performance issues, he comes to class completely drenched in sweat each and every class! I'm certain there is some type of body temperature issue going on and I probably shouldn't talk about him but its VERY distracting.

I've been to his office hours twice and I email him just about every week asking about the homework answers and our test but no luck. Did I mention that he's American and a Stanford U graduate? What sucks the most is this is a basic course which means everything builds from here. Even if I somehow manage to make it out of this one alive, I'm not so sure that will be the case for the classes that follow.

Organizational Behavior: From day 1, I loved this class. Although this instructor is Japanese and he asked the class the same question #sweatyprofessor asked on the first day regarding the classes language of preference. This class also said in the syllabus that it would be taught in English with Japanese in parts, but instead of going along with the classes wishes, he teaches primarily in English as the syllabus stated. My undergrad degree was in Interpersonal and Organizational Communication so the material we cover in this class is right up my alley. It also helps that he seems to favor me because I'm American or maybe its because I sit up front and ask lots of questions. Either way, I really enjoy this class and of course out of all of my classes, going into finals week I'm doing the best in this one.

Microeconomics: This is the class that I believe is going to be the most useful of the 5 courses I'm taking now. The things that we are learning here will definitely help me in the future and its a difficult class, but I like it. The teacher is cool, its clear he knows this subject well, he knows how to teach and he actually shows up to his office for office hours (unlike #sweatyprofessor) and makes himself available to students. Going into finals, this is the class that I'm worried about the most because I didn't do very well on the midterm. Most classes are graded on a curve so hopefully not too many people do exceedingly well and throw the curve off! Ha! I shouldn't say that...but I kinda mean it.

So, after 9 weeks of classes, that's what I have to say. Oh and a very important thing, that I knew I was going to hate about Business School - I really don't like group work. I'm in groups for three of my classes and as a whole I only like 1 of the 3. But hey, 1 is better than none, right?

Well, back to memorizing my lines for a useless skit we have to do for our Leadership class. TTFN.

1 comments:

Kelsey said...

Sweatyprofessor-- hahaha I'm gonna remember that one!