No Class Tomorrow!
Well, no formal class that is. Tomorrow, my Japanese class is taking a field trip one of the most famous mountains in Japan, Mount Tsukuba. It conveniently located on the outskirts of the city I live in so it makes for a great day trip. It is known for its "Twin Peaks" and a magical toad oil that is believed to cure all types of skin ailments. I'm not really sold on this magical oil stuff, but I'm going to buy some if it isn't too expensive just to see what the hype is all about. The mountain really has an interesting history (read: follow the link above to Wiki for more details) so I'm looking forward to learning more about it.
Yet another thing that intrigues me about my new home is that the contradictions are endless. I really can appreciate the emphasis that is put on nature and respect for nature...and at the same time, I can buy a box of 5 cookies where each cookie is individually wrapped. They have just recently picked up the "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" phrase.
My PSA to the people of Japan: "Just Say No!" to disposable chopsticks and plastic shopping bags people.
After we ride up the mountain, we are scheduled to have a fancy lunch (that cost me nearly $20 so it better be good!) at a nearby Japanese style hotel (旅館) and then off to some museum that I think is going to be extra boring. Maybe they will prove me wrong...
More info and pictures to come after the trip. Now I have to lay out my school clothes and pack my bag to make sure I have everything I need (including hand sanitizer, tissues, and hand towel - most public bathrooms don't have towels!).
5 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment