Thursday, November 13, 2008

Japan Fashion Note (JFN)

From time to time I will be including some random trend or fashion related news I stumble upon. Since Japan is the place were lots of trends begin I will try to help my folks stay ahead of the curve.

Browsing through the Japan Times today I found this wonderful article about a fusion of Japanese and African culture. WAFRICA is the brand name of the clothing line. This designer has taken the patterns and fabric of traditional African garb and combined it with the pattern/style of kimono. It's fabulous. I'm going to try to check out the store next time I'm in Tokyo to see if the pieces come together as nicely when they aren't on a professional model.

This type of blending of cultures is what I am really interested in. When something can be artistic and beautiful and still maintain pure elements of each culture and still have a classic and traditional feel the artist has done a very good job.

Have a look at the site and let me know what you think.

0 comments: