Sunday, January 24, 2010

I think I'm getting fired...



As of today, I have been back in Japan for 15 months and you know what people say about time flying? Well take it from me, they're wrong. It feels like I have been here all 476 of these days and sometimes it feels like I've been here longer. It could be explained by the emotional rough start I had or possibly even the old adage "a watched pot never boils" (as you can see I have been counting the days). Either way, it definitely doesn't feel like it has been a day shorter than 15 months.

For this year and three months other than my scholarship checks each month, my only other source of income has been payments from the occasional modeling gig. I haven't worked a regular part time job this whole time but as the modeling assignments have been few and far between lately and barely scraping by is getting pretty old I told my self I would keep my eye out for some part time work. Mid-November I saw and advertisement on the local expat email list for an English school that was looking for a native English speaking substitute teacher. I decided subbing would be good because with how often my school schedule changes this seems like it would work well for both of us. I called, got an interview, got hired.

I teach two classes on Wednesday and four on Saturday. It has been a great gig. I have been able to put some extra change in my pocket and it keeps me home on Friday nights (I teach early Saturday mornings) so I don't spend the little change I'm making. My students are all very sweet (except for one little snot that I could do without) and we enjoy our weekly lessons. Because of this job, I even had the money to go to Taiwan during my winter holiday! The bad thing is, I'm pretty sure they are about to fire me.

My class schedule for the intensive courses I am taking this term makes it so that I am not able to work any Saturdays in January, I'll miss a Feb and a few Wednesdays as well. I was up front with them about my changing schedule from the beginning and they said they really wanted me to work for them and hired me as a regular teacher instead of a sub. It worked for us...until it didn't work for us. They have been asking me to refer people because they are looking for other teachers but I can read between the lines. They are looking for my replacement and soon I'll be back to living off my scholarship alone which will suck.

4 comments:

ADC said...

I'm sorry to hear the situation has been pretty rough for you. Enduring tribulations often leads to a cherished reward, but dealing with those deep emotions while being in a place with your loved ones physically out of reach has to be hard. Its easy to say stay strong and endure, but if I were in your place, I'm not sure how I'd deal with it. All I can do is say go with your heart and do what you feel is right, which won't leave you with any regrets later on in your life.

I hope they don't let you go; no one likes to be broke. If that door closes, hopefully another will open quickly. (Someone should give you another writing gig over there, you do it really well.) Keep your head up Miss Eboni!

Kelsey said...

That sucks...cause I know how much the extra $$ helps. I hope things work out.

Leaf said...

so i know i'm reading this late. did the fire you?? I'm hoping they didnt.

Sharese said...

Im interested too, did they fire you??