Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Now was that necessary?


The second semester is over and done with and our grades came out last week. Overall I was pleased with my results with exception of one stupid C. Actually, I was really upset about that C and I'm really contemplating retaking the class so I don't have that C on my transcript. Note: In this program, if you take a class over and make a better grade the second time, the new grade replaces the old.

A few days ago, my classmate asked me what I got in Business Strategies and when I couldn't remember the grade I went back to check it out. I didn't notice at first when I checked my grades but for Business Strategies there was a hash mark where my grade should have been and a mark of "Failed" beside that! I didn't notice it because it was all the way at the bottom of the report card. Stunned by that discovery I quickly emailed the teacher to see what was going on. This Business Strategies class was a series of 6 lectures by different business professionals that each gave a homework assignment that would be evaluated and the averages of 5 of those assignments would be our final grade for the class.

It turns out that 2 of the lecturers didn't receive the emails I sent with my assignments in them for some reason. So I had to resend them to the Professor at my school who is in charge of handling the grades for this class and he resent them to the lectures who graded them and sent them back.

I just got an email from the Professor. Here is that message in its entirety:

"Hello:

I received the evaluations of your reports. On the basis of the average of five best scores, you got A (but not strong one)."

Now please tell me what his point was in saying "but not a strong one". He could have kept that last little bit to himself.

3 comments:

ADC said...

Today I decided to finish reading your blog so I could finally get caught up to present day. I started by rereading a lot of the 2004 entries since I couldn’t remember where I stopped (I had actually finished ’04) and I just finished reading the 2010 entry. There’s so many great things that I could comment on regarding your remarkable journey. But honestly, right now…I don’t know say...because I’m still shocked at the loss of BB. I don’t want to linger on this too much because it’s just not in my place to do so and I want to be respectful. Even though I don’t really know you, I am deeply sorry for your loss.

I really want to thank you for sharing so much of your life with this blog. You’ve shown that you are a strong, intelligent, lively, funny and fiery woman (I thought you might hurt Dr. Park, and I can’t believe the washing machine incidents!) and I am very glad to have read your journey. You are truly an incredible person!

It’s funny that I found your twitter page at random, as I was looking at the public timeline and something you typed made me decide to follow you. I’m very lucky that I did, and I am very grateful to have met you. I wish you nothing but the best, and I look forward to seeing what 2010 brings for International-E :)

Anthony

PS-That jab from the professor was just wrong! Part of me wants to read it like it’s a line from a sarcastic comedy, but I doubt that’s the case (^.^);;

Unknown said...

A is an A, mate! Congrats!

Unknown said...

That was really foul and unnecessary, but at least you still have your A!