#1. Why B-School? Why Japan? Why Tsukuba?
#2. What topic would you like to research? Describe your plan in detail.
#3. Questions directly related to the previous day's test and portions that were answered incorrectly were targeted.
Cool. This is in my mind when my number is called and I head into the interview room. I walk in and see as panel of three professors, two men and a woman, seated before me to conduct my interview. I say "Hello" to which the response is "Right, so we need to check your name and test ID number. Read it for us, in Japanese"
(Inside voice: Nice way to start an interview, make me feel right at home why don't you folks?)
I read my name and number, they check it against the picture they have of me on my application and finally they tell me to sit down. Originally, I was also told by my tutor and advisor that the interview would be in English. Now, I can speak Japanese of course but I sound much smarter in my own language. I'm working on my Japanese daily but when given the choice between being interviewed for Graduate School in a language I've spoken all my life or one I've studied (sporadically at times) for about 7 years...I chose the former.
Anyway, the interview begins and as I suspected, they want to proceed in Japanese. I told them that I preferred to answer in English and they said that was fine but they would ask me the questions in Japanese. (Inside voice: Okkkay) As expected the first question they asked was the "Why B-School, Why Japan" to which I feel I answered well. Next they asked me what I wanted to do once I finished school. No problem there either. Then they told me that my classes would primarily be in Japanese and asked how comfortable I was with that. I told them I was able to understand everything they had asked me thus far and would continue my Japanese studies throughout my time in Japan in hopes of attaining true fluency. (Inside voice: Excellent! We're on a roll!)
And that my friends was where interview ended. They said a polite thank you and asked me to send the next person in. I was baffled. They didn't ask me about my research plan or anything about the test and I was out of there in less than 8 minutes! I literally walked down the hall away from the interview room feeling like I had a cartoon bubble over my head with like 9 question marks in it. Like, "What????"
So, I called my tutor and spoke to a few other people in my research lab and everyone's reaction was mixed. I wanted a drink. I explained to my Japanese friends that an interview that ends abruptly and quickly in the States is definitely not a good sign, but I was assured (and I used that word very lightly) that here it could go either way. We talked about it until I was tired of talking about it and we drank and talked about the strange and
The best part is, that experience is over and I have the future to look forward to. That test night I allowed myself to moan and be uncertain and ho-hum but the next day I celebrated moving past that milestone. Feb. 17th the results will be posted so until then I'll just hope for the best.

0 comments:
Post a Comment