Wednesday, October 22, 2008

RIP Phoenix

On Saturday October 11, I was at a party in Yamanashi with some folks for the JETs AD Kanto Cookout when I received the bad news. I found out that my ex-boyfriend of nearly 3 years, Jody Brooks, had died suddenly at a nightclub in Atlanta, GA. Jody was only 34 years old, far too young and far too soon. I can still hardly believe he is really gone. I left the party immediately to go make arrangements to get back to the US. My friend Lindsey was able to find me a one-way companion pass so I figured I’d find out how I was getting back to Japan once I got home. Lindsey sent me an email late Saturday night to let me know I was booked on a flight that was leaving Sunday at 4pm, and so I left October 12th.

I heard a few people say that this was the worst week of their lives. I can definitely see where they are coming from. I have never felt so horrible physically and emotionally in my entire life but I was able to find comfort in meeting the different people from each part of Jody’s life. His family and friends are amazing, just like he was, and knowing how many people from all walks of life absolutely ADORED him really made me feel better. He will always be missed but will live in my heart forever. I truly loved him and I know he loved me. Although we weren’t together when he passed, we were friends and for that I am eternally grateful. My life will not be the same without him in it. I love you Jody and I’m so glad I told you while you were still with us. Rest in Peace, my Phoenix.

I left Japan Sunday October 12th and just returned today October 22nd and I have a lot of make-up work/catching up to do. I am both hopeful and prayful that I can regain the focus I had before I left. I have to be honest, getting back on that plane to return to Japan was much more difficult this time around than it was when I arrived here October 2nd. School is tough, my living situation is less than ideal and I haven’t really made too many new friends just yet. I know all of that will come with time and patience so I’m working on being patient.

One thing that made the trip back easier was the fact that I rode business class! Another good friend of mine was able to find me a companion pass on which to travel back to Japan and hooked me up!(Thanks LB!!!!) I swear it’s the only way to travel. You can select when your games and movies begin, three course meals, always a full bottle of water on your tray table, seats that recline so far you are almost horizontal, oh, and your computer can plug into your seat without any special adapter or anything J I didn’t even have to use my iPod or take out any of my books. One really great surprise was when I was flipping through the CDs they had on the R&B selections, Algebra was there! Algebra is a very talented Neo-Soul artists who just happens to be Jody’s neighbor in Washington Park. She also sang two very touching pieces at his Memorial service. Misunderstood by Nina Simone and One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey.

I was reminded of a very important lesson this past week, No one is promised tomorrow. We know not the day or the hour when we will breathe our last breath. Don't live your life with regrets. Love hard. Laugh often. Live your life.


1 comments:

Vickilyn said...

WOW E. . .I've been away for a bit b/c I can't get to blogs while at work! That was an emotional post. I'm very sorry for your loss but very happy that you were able to get back to get in touch with his loved ones so you all could remember him together! Love ya girl! Let me know if you need anything!